Andrew A. Muchoney
Andrew A. Muchoney began his career with B Company, 4/37 Armor Regiment, First Infantry Division, as a tank crewman. After leaving active duty, Mr. Muchoney continued to serve in the U.S. Army Reserve, and ultimately graduated from DePaul University College of Law.
Mr. Muchoney began his legal career engaged in complex litigation and transactions, representing individuals, corporations and governmental entities across a broad spectrum of legal disciplines, from commercial law, to civil rights litigation, to probate, to family law, giving him unique insights into protecting his clients from an interdisciplinary perspective.
Representative successes enjoyed by Mr. Muchoney in civil court include multi-million-dollar contests over contract enforcement (Heller Financial Leasing v. Scitex Digital Printing) and over civil rights claims (Yorli P. Huff, et al. v. State of Illinois, et al.). Mr. Muchoney has also prevailed in actions before the American Arbitration Association, and is a long-standing member of the federal trial bar. Mr. Muchoney has practiced throughout Illinois in state and federal court, and has been specially admitted in exceptionally complex cases to practice outside Illinois. Mr. Muchoney’s transactional experience -- including drafting contracts for sales and leasing of goods, corporate constitutional documents, licensing instruments, and employment agreements – also makes him more sensitive to the need for careful drafting in the family law arena.
Mr. Muchoney’s family law experience consists of addressing the entire range of issues occurring in this practice area, including complex divorces, post-decree matters, child custody disputes, interstate custody jurisdiction contests, business valuations, orders of protection, grandparent visitation, as well as litigating and drafting prenuptial and post nuptial agreements. A focus for Mr. Muchoney from the very beginning of his practice in family law has been successfully advocating for child custody, often for the father. A few of many examples of Mr. Muchoney’s more recent successes in the area of child custody are as follows:
Memorable Case Victories:
- Securing residential custody for the father in a heavily disputed divorce contest, along with an award of the marital residence to the father to provide stability for the children after the dissolution of marriage, in DuPage County, Illinois
- Securing custody for the father in Will County after a trial for dissolution of marriage, by demonstrating the father’s superior ability versus the mother to ensure that the parties’ minor child would attend school
- Restoring custody of the child to his client in a parentage action after his client’s custodianship was essentially terminated by an award of guardianship to the other party in a separate probate case
- Prevailing in an interstate child custody jurisdiction contest on behalf of the father where the mother attempted to remove the child from Pennsylvania to Illinois without the father’s knowledge
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 1993
- De Paul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois