Eric M. Hartig
A former prosecutor for the City of Chicago, Eric Hartig has done significant work with Chicago-Kent's Family Law Clinic, making valuable contributions to challenging cases involving child custody, dissolution of marriage and the validity of prenuptial agreements.
As a prosecutor, he proceeded against defendants in cases involving serious personal injury and property damage. He is especially skilled in cases in which a child has been injured or must serve as the primary witness.
Having participated in hundreds of trials, Hartig is a ferocious litigator and vehemently works to better the lives of fathers, who have historically been given unfair treatment by the courts in their battles for child custody, visitation and a fair hand in divorce proceedings.
Amongst the brightest in his class from an early age, Hartig received a full merit scholarship to attend the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and graduated at the top of his class. He later received his Juris Doctorate from the Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, where his mentor Jeffery Leving also received his Juris Doctorate. Mr. Hartig is licensed by the Supreme Court of the State of Illinois to practice as an attorney and counselor at law in the courts of this state.
- Successfully argued that a premarital agreement should not be upheld after a long marriage where the parties were of significantly different ages, levels of education, and business sophistication at the time the agreement was signed.
- Secured a major win in a complex trial involving personal injury to a minor child after a teacher from the child's school hit the child on her bike while the teacher was driving a vehicle. The teacher denied any wrong-doing despite the fact that the statute is strict liability, and the child was in the crosswalk when hit. The child was the primary witness despite injuries since no other witness from the scene was present in court.
- Participated in hundreds of trials, including cases involving significant personal injury.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Honors: Top of His Class